Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Journey of a Pregnant Runner

Pregnancy has been an interesting journey for this ambitious runner!

Just before I knew I was pregnant I was training so hard for Berlin Marathon. Early morning runs, good diet and dedication. When I knew that We are expecting again, my first reaction was combined with mixed feelings! I didn't expect that it will all happen so soon especially that I was at the peek of my running. Knowing that I have a little heart beat in my belly changed my goals and running became less priority but this didn't mean that I would stop running or stop running one of the biggest marathon in the world.


My 1st trimester:
I was hit by nausea and extreme fatigue but whenever I had a chance to tight those running shoe laces and go on a run I never said NO. It was in the middle of the summer so I used the opportunity to go run as early as 5 am before my head and body realize what I was doing and also this gave me the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed evening in the garden after a busy day at work.
Stats:
June :300 km
July :350km
August :300km


My 2nd trimester:

My nausea was almost gone and I was ready to run Berlin Marathon at 4 months Pregnant. Before Berlin I run a 30 km race " 30 van North Amsterdam" I also Run the " Dam tot Dam Loop  " a 10 Em race. Berlin Marathon was very exciting but also hard mentally. In my heart I was still wishing I am going for the time and wanted to run my fastest marathon and beat my Boston Marathon time of 3:06:28 but realistically that was not possible "Baby comes first".

4 months Pregnant
I tried to enjoy the amazing crowd and the beautiful city of Berlin  while running but unfortunately It turned out less pleasant.  From the 1st km my knee started to hurt but as stubborn as I am  "Giving up was not an option" and "Pain is just temporary" I wanted so bad to finish the marathon and feel that sense of pride. Every km passed by, the pain was getting sharper to the point I couldn't bend my knee anymore but still made it to the finish line and that feeling of accomplishing something you want so bad is not describable!!! Crossing the finish line while having a baby in my belly made me almost forget those 42 painful kms! I was just proud!
Squating at 4 months Pregnant

The consequences were big because this race left me injured almost the whole month of October and most of November.
Being injured didn't stop me from working out! I went weekly to the gym did my squats and exercises as well as Aqua jogging. I started building up my running on the AlterG where I could control my weight.



Toward the end of November I run 2 races: 8 km of the Lintloop and 15km of Zevenheuvelenloop.

Stats:
October: 15km
November: 87km
December :145 Km

My 3rd trimester:
Result of Hardloopspel
Kick off of a new Year also kick off of Hardloopspel made January  quiet exciting!

Between 30 and 34 weeks pregnant I felt quiet fit and energetic despite the 13 kg extra on my 56 kg body frame.
January left me with 245 pregnant kms!!!

February started with less energy. The first 20 min of every run my calves were cramping and after the 20 min I was experiencing a " Pubic Pain"
I went to see a special physiotherapist and her advice was to stop running, she was not supportive at all. Talking to my doctor and other running coaches they advised me to keep running but less kms and that is how I am managing my runs these days. Anything between 3km to 5 km makes me happy, painfree and energetic. Anything more than 5 kms becomes painful and no fun and that is not what running is all about. I will keep running as long as my body keeps allowing it!


37 weeks Pregnant
Today I am 37 weeks Pregnant, the excitement of meeting my little baby Girl is becoming Huge. I just honestly can't wait! I am already on maternity leave, I am trying to relax and enjoy my Me time before my life turns to a busy one! Not sure how running is going to fit in my schedule but "when there is a will there is a way"! What I also know that "1 hour of working out is 4 % of my day" so there is NO EXCUSES!!!


I am planning to Breastfeed for 6 months so this is going to be quiet challenging to combine  baby, family, work, Running and social life, 



but this mommy is ready for it! 

The countdown has begun!!! Baby Girl I am eager to meet you
so please come soon!!!


4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! So awesome. You are amazingly inspirational! I ran a marathon when my baby was 8 months old and he was purely breastfed until 11 so it is totally doable... If I can then you DEFINITELY can! Can't wait to hear about the arrival of your wee girl. Enjoy these last 3 (give or take) weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done so well to keep up the running as you have. Nearly there now - exciting! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations once again on BabyG, N!!!

    Your energy, focus and strength of character is amazing.

    Wishing you lovely moments with your family, specially the new member! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I'm Heather and I wanted to know if you could answer my question I have about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com I would greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete