Friday, May 22, 2015

Rotterdam marathon 2015



This is my first Rotterdam marathon. I heard so many positive feedbacks of how amazing is to Run in Rotterdam. I signed up for the race within the first minutes after the registration was open and booked a hotel together with some firends

My last few weeks of training after Utrecht marathon felt good but somehow my right calf was annoying me after every training. With some foam rolling I kept going with my training without taking the good time to recover.
6 days  before Rotterdam marathon I run De loop van de haar a fast 10 km and I finished on the podium.

My goal for Rotterdam marathon is to run a personal best and that is a sub3hours6min. Ruben my running mate, agreed to pace me to a PR. Ruben have paced me in the past so I am used to his way of pacing, somehow he knows when I need to slow down or go faster and that make him a perfect pacer for me. He sets the pace and I follow! How simple is that! ( not really :) ).

One day before the race I went on my last run to end up coming home with tears because of a severe pain in my calf. I honestly knew at that moment that Rotterdam marathon won't be a smooth run.
I went to the expo picked my startnumber and got my foot/calf tapped, hopping It will relieve the pain.

In the evening we had dinner at the Hilton and I got the pleasure to be surrounded with all the elite runners! It gave me extra motivation and made me more excited for the race. Of course I Had to take a picture with the trio sisters from Iceland.



Race day:

Race starts at 10:00, I  woke up at 8:00 after a very short sleepless night. Henny, Milan, Gerben, Maarten and Ruben came over to the small hotel where I was staying with my hubby and we headed all together to the meeting point where we got to meet with many other marathoners.
It was nice to see everyone and share the excitement between each other, Just before 10:00 I headed with Ruben to the NK start. (National Championship had their own start area)
At this point I realized  that there is no more back, pain or no pain  I am about to start my 8th marathon!!!
The song "You'll Never Walk Alone' with a beautiful voice started ringing out of the speakers for all runners and continued even after the mayor of Rotterdam shot the cannon. Finally, here we go for the 42,195 meters long journey through Rotterdam .


The first few kilometers were painful, I was in panic but before I knew it, the pain disappeared and remember telling Ruben, I feel strong lets do it!!! Along the road supporters making all kind of sounds and cheering for all the runners! What a party i thought to myself!!! Ruben was not even sweating he was making sure to get me my water and remind me to take my gel on time. Cant ask for a better pacer!!. Everything went as planned (4'20/km) until about 20 km where I had a sudden pain in my Knee!! Oh NO!!!At this moment I realized that the second half of the race is going to be very challenging!!
Between the pain and the little sound in my heart to give up, it was time to take my second gel. Ruben suggested to open it for me but I decided to do it my self and not sure what and how it happend but the gel exploded on my face and it spread on Ruben! Oeps!!! "embarrassing" we made sure to laugh hard!! (Still laughing when I think about it)

Nothing is more painful and challenging than to keep running through pain but giving up was not an option, it is a character in me which I can't change.

I fought the next 20 kms with bunch of stops ... Ruben was actually feeling my pain and asked me to stop but this little stubborn girl in me wanted to earn her medal so bad!
I fought till the last minute, once arrived to the coolsingel, nothing mattered anymore...the finish is insights.,...people all over are cheering so loud, the atmosphere cannot be described into words.


Crossing the finish line and stopping the time was the most beautiful and priceless moment. Suddenly all the emotions hit me and tears started falling out of my eyes!!!



No Pain No Gain, I took my medal and despite the pain I felt satisfied. I came on a mission, the mission was not accomplished but the journey was successfully completed and I am proud of it!

FINISH TIME 3:12:05





I just run 42.195 km!!! Nothing can beat this feeling!

My pacer did an awesome job to push me and supports me! Thanks Ruben!!

Maarten, Gerben, Me, Ruben





No comments:

Post a Comment